Zeta Tau Alpha’s first Central Office was established by Grand Chapter in 1920 in Pittsburgh, Pa, home of Chi Chapter member Alpha Burkart Wettach. For 10 years, the Grand Chapter (now National Council) housed the Fraternity’s operations in the city where the President resided. This included Richmond, Va., in 1926 and Beaumont, Texas, in 1928.
In 1930, when ZTA’s membership totaled 20,000, Convention delegates voted to secure a fixed location for the Central Office. Evanston, Ill., was selected as the host city. In 1968, the name “International Office” (IO) was selected to represent the growth of the Fraternity.
At the Diamond Anniversary Convention in 1974, delegates voted unanimously to move the International Office to its first Fraternity-owned building in Indianapolis, Ind. The Circle City was selected because of its central geographic location, lower construction costs and the absence of property tax for not-for-profit corporations. ZTA broke ground in 1977 for its first Indianapolis office at 3330 Founders Road.
In less than 15 years, ZTA’s day-to-day operations outgrew its 9,000-square-foot building. Taking advantage of a favorable building market in 1993, the ZTA Fraternity Housing Corporation sold the 3330 Founders Road headquarters building to Theta Chi Fraternity and built a new 20,000-square-foot International Office less than a quarter of a mile away at 3450 Founders Road (pictured above.) The International Office staff is comprised of more than 25 personnel supervised by a team of Directors.
For more information about International Office, please download our brochure.